Archive for the ‘Career Development’ Category
Tuesday, June 26th, 2012
There are many organizations that ask their employees to work as a team. Working as a team has various advantages like the possibility of making new contacts, distribution of work related activities (responsibilities), less work stress and a sense of group accomplishment. Effective communication among the colleagues eliminates much of the anxiety and negative feelings about each other. This is the responsibility of the group leader to encourage all the team members to communicate clearly with one another while they are working together.
A team is mostly collection of people from various backgrounds. When the team members understand each other well and they are able to communicate effectively then, this cultural diversity becomes a benefit. People listen to each other’s suggestions/inputs more openly and thus give productive results.
While working as a team member we need to recognize our role. If all the persons in a team are concentrating on the same job, then little will get accomplished. So the distribution of tasks fairly among the team members matters a lot to achieve the ultimate goal.
Teams require resources, and especially, time. Teams are mostly more effective when:
People from diversified groups are involved
A proper target is set for all members to chase
Responsibilities are assigned clearly among the team members
A regular meeting schedule is set to discuss all activities carried out in certain time
Commitment toward work in a team is the most important of all. Team members need to be committed to accomplish the mission of their organization and understand the importance of their skills and services to the organization.
Friday, April 13th, 2012
Soft skills complement technical skills which are the occupational requirement of any job. Soft skills play an important role in professional success by helping one to excel in the workplace.
Some of the important soft skills required to make your mark in the professional field are:
Try to be professional in everything you do. Do not panic when the things are tough. Rather show your abilities to cope with hardships.
Your looks matter a lot. Proper dressing is important even in casual working hours.
The more positive (optimistic) you are towards your colleagues; the better your professional relationships will be. As nobody would like to spend his time with a difficult and non cooperative fellow.
Every individual has different motivations for work. Some work for money, others for their love to work or their personal fulfillment. If no motivation is there in an employee, then ultimately the quality of his work will deteriorate.
A good writing ability is a valuable quality of any candidate. Its not necessary that a person is extraordinary good in writing but at least he should have skills to express his ideas and thoughts to other people in written symbols.
Willingness to learn
Always be ready to learn new things. This would broaden your thoughts and would help you discover new horizons.
A person skilled in time management stands to learn more from daily work than the other person who is not. A strong time management skill can lead to great rewards like high productivity, less stress to meet work challenges and deadlines, enough relaxation hours and a quicker evaluation of your work and abilities.
Look at each day as a new opportunity to explore yourself, learn something new and ultimately improve yourself.
Friday, January 27th, 2012
Avoid choosing an opportunity or going for a job that does not suit your skill set. Your need is important but when you will have to leave, sooner or later, the time you have spent to search and doing this job will be wasted. Never forget that time is money!
Most importantly, people who already are working and switching their jobs should make decisions wisely. You need to have good reasons to leave your current job. Leaving a job for personal issues with the higher management or for some more money is not a logical reason. Talk and consult with your friends and colleagues who can suggest you better.
Following are the two important factors to consider before accepting a job offer.
Match your knowledge and skills
Choosing a job with little money and with no career advancement is a big loss. Make a move only when you have a better position, and if the company is reputed in the job industry. You might have spent many years for earning experience in your field, but starting as a fresh will be idiocy.
Even if you don’t like the environment of your workplace you can handle the situation and people working there. What will you do if the new company and new colleagues will be even worse than these? You never know because no company or employer would be perfect. So, be sure and positively think about your options!
Balance your work and life style
The next thing is to look for a better life style. Working extra, over time or spending long time than you spend at your existing workplace, is another important factor that needs to be considered. If you think that working more than normal business hours is good, then you are mistaken. You are spoiling your life style this way. You should be able to balance your professional and personal life.
Friday, December 16th, 2011
A computer operator is a person who works with computers on a daily basis and contributes in different tasks related to computers. Duties of computer operators vary depending on particular job titles and places of employment. Generally computer operators are responsible to enter data, aid in fixing computer problems and manage different tasks in computer department.
We are using computers in our daily life, for personal and business reasons and it is almost impossible to work in the job market without use of computer. Most of the jobs in the job market need computer skills to some extent. Therefore, computer-related skills are quite important in the job market.
Responsibilities of a Computer Operator
Computer operators are responsible to perform a number of responsibilities.
- Keeping log books and traces for jobs or events that take place in the systems.
- Assisting programmers and technical staffs.
- Checking for existence of viruses and upgrading and updating systems to improve working.
- Will be in control of new equipment orders.
- Systematizing and preserving disks and files
- Developing good communication skills that are essential to express technical issues to a person who is non technical.
- Operate a number of computer systems, fix problems that may arise in routine work.
- Following operation of the computer on daily basis.
Specific Duties of a Computer Operator
Duties of a computer operator are wide and vary according to job title.
- A computer operator is responsible to enter data into computer. Sometimes data is entered to ensure proper work whereas sometimes it is entered into the computer as their job requirement. Entering data is a significant part of computer operator’s daily routine.
- Opening / closing/ modifying accounts on computer include scrutinizing of signatures accordingly authorized by official.
- Add / delete/ modify records.
- Generate and print interest and service charges reports.
- Print registers / scrolls and balances these reports with sums and balance them.
- Taking calls from customers complaining of computer system issues and diagnosing the problems.
- Maintaining client database and keeping up with current clients contact information.
- Making necessary changes along the way.
- May also be responsible to store items that are related to computers such as disks, files etc.
- Monitor use of computers for others. This may relate to supervising or security reasons.
- Set computer control to a specific duty that can be included in their duties.
- At times checking and altering computer controls.
Other duties from time to time depend on the management. Responsibilities of some computer operators will have a wide range of responsibilities whereas others will have least amount of duties according to their job title.
Thursday, December 8th, 2011
A career counselor provides guidance for what job you can do with your present skills, experience and educational background. He also guides you for what career paths you should choose to secure a bright future for yourself. A career counselor also helps you in your job development, job assessment and work planning. Career counselor helps individuals to put their abilities in a job with good skills and help them to move forward in their career.
Fields related to Career Counseling
Working environment varies at every workplace. The time you spend at your job differs according to your changed responsibilities and managing with new people.
Responsibilities of a Career Counselor
A career counselor has many duties and responsibilities that he has to carry out on daily basis. His duties and responsibilities are divided according to the different positions.
Career counseling is helpful for the people who are looking for new jobs or are successful in their job but they are confused in how to move forward in their career? Career-counselors help these people to manage difficult process for job search in a more efficient and effective way or do a career change.
The career counselor counsels students or job seekers to move further in their career.
He is responsible to guide and help the job seekers in making decision about their career.
The career counselor finds out what is the interest of student and what steps should he take to further improve his CV.
He is responsible to formulate a good plan or job opportunities for the job seekers.
A career counselor should be able enough to answer the different questions of the students or job seekers to satisfy them for chosen field or offered job.
The career counselor usually keeps in touch with teachers of different institutes to find out the suitable student for a position.
A career counselor is also responsible to provide educational group sessions where students can learn about different career choices.
A career counselor should have good contacts with individuals like business owners, college administrators and managers. This will help the counselor to give the best possible opportunities to job seekers.
Significance of career counseling in Pakistan
In the job market of Pakistan, we see many of the candidates who have skills and qualification but fail to get a job. We also see many job opportunities that are available in different fields but are unfilled. This is actually because our youngsters lack information and don’t get proper career counseling. The lack of counseling leads them to suffer in their career goals.
Career counseling supports and helps the individuals to realize the actual responsibilities and have a realistic approach to the job market. It also adds motivation to the individuals by learning the best possibilities for them. Career counseling encourages every individual to have a career in their related field. Youngsters must also talk with their teachers and other professionals to have career advice.
Thursday, November 3rd, 2011
Most of the working employees, especially in private sectors are “employees at will”. It means that they can be fired at any time without an obvious reason. There are several reasons that may cause your termination. It can happen at any time even without a reason. We are not trying to scare you off with this article, rather you can avoid these circumstances and do good at the job. Following are ways to get thrown off your job.
Most Frequently remain Absent from Office
Take your sick leaves when you are sick but taking too many in the busy schedule can work against you. If you remain absent in the company on a busy season, it reflects your work dedication. Repeatedly leaves on weekends are also one of the basic reasons of getting fired
Inability to actually do assigned job tasks
The employees tell a lie on their resume or during an interview, stating that they can do many different tasks, but remain unable to perform these duties on the job. They will surely be getting fired soon if they fail to quickly learn these tasks. However, some technical tasks are never possible to learn quickly. These shortfalls will expose the employee as incapable to perform their duties and their lie during the application process. The employee needs an orientation and a little help in earlier days. If you feel lack of guidance speak up in a professional manner and ask for proper guidance.
Lie on a resume
The candidates strengthen their resumes with the thought that once they get the job, the resume is no longer important. But they forget that their job duties are assigned according to their mentioned skills and certificates on the resume. If your resume is having wrong detailed notes or any verifiable certifications, means you are at the risk of being fired for fraud.
If anyone guides you to make a strong resume with wrong information, he is trying to get you into problem. If the employers get dissatisfied with any of your given information they can get you fired any time. Understand the truth that reference checking carries on after you are hired.
Not showing your talent
Boasting up is never appreciated but if you always keep silent, never show your achievements to your managers, and are not a familiar face to your employers, you are surely going to be ignored in every matter.
Working hard, being intelligent and staying late at work is not enough. It may also give an impression that you are not a team player. If you don’t share your ideas or speak up in meetings, you will be considered an uninterested person with no ideas instead the one who meets deadlines by late working.
Tuesday, November 1st, 2011
Accountants are responsible to see that businesses are well directed to remain commercial, by upholding the systematized and organized records of credits and debits, income statements, balance sheets and other applicable and relate able secretarial facts and figures that are essential records of any unit for better understanding of business.
The Accounting is a wide field, having different responsibilities according to the designations. The designation like account manager, chartered accountant and accounts supervisor all are included in accounts department. But the common job responsibilities include:
It is a difficult task to decide what certification is best suited to you in the field of Accounting. The days have passed when the only best option was to become a Chartered Accountant by getting a degree of M.com by a recognized university. Other than above certifications ACCA, and CIMA issued by the IMA are also the valuable certifications. All the certifications are designed to become an accountant but it is up to you to choose one of them according to your choice.
A special institute has been established in 1951named Institute of Cost & Management Accountants of Pakistan. For the regulation of the profession of Cost and Management Accounting, the institution was granted statutory status under the Cost and Management Accountants Act, 1966. The institute is known not only on national but also on international levels for its high standard testing and education.
ICMAP has certified over 5000 members, who hold senior positions in commerce, trade, industry and government in Pakistan and also on international levels.
Accountant Job Responsibilities
- Arrange financial statements on a monthly basis and sometimes on daily basis.
- Prepare and put in order all the files and tax reports, essential company incomes at the local, federal and state levels.
- Support assessment activities
- Preparing all the records of profit and loss statements, monthly cost and closing accounting records.
- Accountable in compiling and in analyzing financial stuffs for better understanding of financial entries that is essential for broad ledger accounts.
- Review and Monitor accounting process for comprehensiveness, efficacy and accuracy.
- Analyze expenditures and revenues and give suitable suggestions and proposals in financial planning and other accounting fears.
- Resolve accounting problems by carrying out the essential inquiry and setting up a more well-organized auditing system.
- Explain accounting policies and billing invoices to vendors, staff and clients.
- Determine accounting inconsistencies.
- Maintain and develop financial data supports, manual filing system and computer software systems.
- Interrelate with external and internal auditors as well in completing audits.
- Completing other assigned duties.
Skills required for an accountant
- An accountant should be confident enough to converse on procedural information. He must be able to converse evidently at all levels of the business.
- He must be a good team player to work well with others to deliver and get information that makes their job easy.
- He should have the quality of interacting confidently with others. It is very important for accountant to build a good relationship with people. It will help to carry out your role.
- He should be able to meet confronts so it is significant to find a way to overcome problems.
- To work as accountancy is not an easy work, so he should be Committed and motivated to his work.
- Written and statistical reports are essential in accounts. It is a skill that helps to develop a career.
- A minor mistake of even “0” in accounts can lead to misinterpretation, so he should be able to pay attention to small details.
- An accountant has to work on several projects at one time so he should be able to manage the time according to the different preferences.
- Accountant must behave as a professional with all ethics. His work performance, behavior in the work place and way of handling the secret information all are included in it.
Typical examples of Sales Managers jobs on Bayrozgar.com are listed below:
Accounts Officer Job in Faisalabad
Accountant (ACCA) Job in Lahore
Accounts Assistant Job in Rawalpindi
Thursday, October 27th, 2011
It has never been easy to turn in your resignation. Even if you are fed up with your job, hate your co workers and don’t want to continue for the next day or even if you are about to be fired, it is difficult to resign delicately. Following are some points to consider before you resign from the job.
Don’t resign unless you have a job offer: This is one of the most important tip. Be practical; never resign unless you have a job offer. The successful persons always put their plan in place first and then resign.
Don’t resign before thoroughly weighing the new job opportunity: Never resign unless you have understood your responsibilities in the next company thoroughly. Also take notice of offered salaries and expenses. Discuss your idea with your friends and industry expertise.
Be professional in resigning: Never leak out any shared information during your job. This is a type of theft and it’s liable to be punished by a court of law.
Don’t resign for bad review: Bad reviews give you a chance to overcome your shortcomings in the job and get better. If you feel that you are unable to manage, these reviews will even then give you a considerable time to plan a positive and graceful exit.
Don’t resign because you are bored with the routine: How much bore you are, but can’t be more than waiting for the call of employment. If you’re so elegant in your profession, you will surely have an opportunity but never resign before you have a good opportunity.
Following your friend or a colleague: Also don’t resign in following your friend or a colleague. No one else can think better of you than you can.
Surely follow the above statements in your mind. But even If you are sure that you actually want to resign, handle your resignation carefully. You never know when you can need your past employers for a reference.
Always work with the saying that anger is your enemy not the energy. May be you are fed up with your job and hate your boss but don’t let your anger show. Never, ever show your thinking about the job or the boss.
Give Notice: If you have made any employment contract that states a notice of some time, give it. Otherwise, a two week notice is enough.
If your employer asks you to keep on more than two weeks, you have no obligation to stay. Your next employer will surely be waiting for you to come and take your responsibilities in a timely manner. Yes you can offer your help after working hours for some days.
Wednesday, October 26th, 2011
A Sales Manager is responsible for the execution, development and performance of the product with respect to the market. The Sales Manager is accountable for the successful co-ordination of his team and getting the highest productivity of a product in the market. A sales manager directs a sales team and gives a full leadership in the direction of the success of maximum growth and profitability in line with company values and vision. The Sales Manager is also accountable for expanding the client base and applying different methods to raise the profit border.
• Develops a sales strategy and business plan according to the demand of the market that guarantees achievement of company sales profitability and goals.
• Accountable for the performance and development of the Account Executives.
• Organizes achievement plans by team and individuals for effectual search of prospects and sales leads.
• Starts and organizes growth of action plans to go in a new market.
• Give a proper feedback to senior supervisors concerning with performance.
• Helps in the implementation and development of marketing plans as required.
• Provides timely competitive pricing on all submitted applications that are in view for approval and pricing, while determining to keep the highest profit margin.
• Keeps precise records of all sales, pricings and activity reports proposed by Account Executives.
• Carry outs one-on-one review with all Account managers to construct more effectual messages, to understand the needs in development and training, and to offer insight for the development of Account Manager’s activity and sales performance.
• Helps Account Executives in preparation of presentations and proposals.
• Manages cost to meet account guidelines.
• Tests, recruits and hires Account Managers based on criteria outlined by senior management.
• Produces and performs proposal appearances.
• Sticks to all company procedures, policies and makes sure that they are implemented and discussed within the team.
Internal / External Cooperation
• Covers that all Account managers exceed or meet all movement standards for viewing calls, presentations, appointments, proposals and closes.
• Pass on responsibility and authority with proper follow-up and accountability.
• Sets patterns for Account department in areas of commitment, personal character, organizational and work habits and selling skills.
• Performs regular counseling and coaching with Account department to construct selling skills and motivation.
• Responsible for maintaining contact with all customers in the market area, ensuring the satisfaction of the client.
• Shows ability to cooperate and interact with all company workers.
Typical examples of Sales Managers jobs on Bayrozgar.com are listed below:
Sales Manager Job in Rawalpindi
Sales Manager Job in Islamabad
Sales Manager Job in Gujrat
Monday, September 26th, 2011
The key to a successful performance review is that it should be a continuing process to assess the satisfaction of the employee and employer as well. Below are five action steps to take for your next performance review.
Does your work contribute in the success of the company?
Everyone wants to do significant work. Doing a meaningful work is a part of employee’s responsibility and taking a meaningful work is the responsibility of the management. If you are working in a firm where goals and tasks are not important then you have done a mistake in choosing the firm. It also means that you have chosen a job where you cannot make a difference or show your skills. If you feel that you are doing a meaningless work or don’t feel any worth of your work in the future, talk to your seniors about changing your tasks.
Do you understand the necessary steps to be successful at the company?
Every company has its own policy that you have to follow. These policies are usually called the culture fit. Most of these policies are unwritten and practically all are about behavior of the employee.
Your personality and behavior are two different things. You cannot change your personality but better managing your behavior is your ability.. To have a success at workplace you should be aggressive, quick and unsentimental with your co workers. But if you are doing a job in which you have to deal with customers then you need to be concerned, a listener and a problem-solver. At some places you need to be obedient with your seniors. Understand the culture of your workplace.
Is your work and workplace part of your career plan?
This point specifically relates to you. Your work and workplace should be a part of your career plan. You and your manager should understand your career plan to ensure your job is preservative to your career plan and contains the challenges you need to move to the next level.
Do you receive the training to maintain success?
This is for management. You need training to learn, grow and be successful at every stage. Your training does not mean to know that where the things are but it is about knowing how to use all the tools according to the strategy of the company, from hardware to the policy of the company. If there’s no training, you should ask for it and be sure that it connects you and your manager to a more successful career.
Do you receive continuous feedback to improve your work?
Monitoring the work and management must be undertaken by you and your manager. You should know that where do you stand; this means a regular dialogue with your manager. If you receive any negative review never be surprised. You should be constructive and constant with your feedback.
To ensure that your review is transformative, make sure that you cover the above points in your review. These points will ensure employee as well as management satisfaction.